Does God exist? That is the question Catholic comedian and television host, Stephen Colbert, debated with his Late Show guest, the popular actor and outspoken atheist, Ricky Gervais. The YouTube video clip of the two men going “head to head on religion” has gone viral, quickly garnering over 2.5 million views. In this episode of The Word on Fire Show, Bishop Barron breaks down each segment of the discussion and offers helpful insights for everyone fascinated (or haunted) by questions about God. The listener question asks whether atheists or theists bear the burden of proof when it comes to these debates.
- 0:17 – Introduction, Bishop Barron’s trip to Georgia for a Pivotal Players promotion
- 4:00 – Colbert to Gervais, “Why is there something rather than nothing?”
- 7:36 – What is the difference between asking why the universe exists and h0w the universe exists?
- 12:05 – Colbert to Gervais, “Do you believe in a prime mover?”
- 14:05 – Gervais explains what he believes an agnostic atheist is.
- 16:57 – Gervais to Colbert, “You deny one less God than I do”
- 20:52 – Colbert to Gervais, “Do you ever have a feeling of great gratitude for existence?”
- 25:47 – Gervais explains to Colbert that Science is repeatable but holy books are not.
- 29:20 – Listener Question: Do atheists or theists bear the burden of proof during debates about the existence of God?
- Study Program
- The Mystery of God: Who God Is and Why He Matters (Bishop Barron)
- Word On Fire (Proclaiming Christ in the Culture)