What do we mean by religious liberty? Why should all people, including non-religious people, care about protecting religious liberty? Bishop Barron recently joined the U.S. Bishop’s Committee for Religious Liberty, and has been thinking about these questions more deeply. Today, he gives an overview of the topic, including a look at John Courtney Murray, Vatican II, and what ordinary Catholics in the pew can do to promote religious liberty. A listener asks about the divide which has arisen between academic theology and spirituality.
- 0:04 – Introduction, USCCB meeting in Florida
- 2:00 – What is religious liberty?
- 5:50 – Why should atheists care about religious liberty?
- 9:00 – What is the history of religious liberty in the USA?
- 16:00 – Is religious liberty under attack in America now?
- 19:50 – What are the best ways to propose religious liberty, and how can we defend religious liberty in our own way?
- 25:45 – Listener Question: How to we heal the gap between theology and spirituality?